Louisiana Division/City Archives   New Orleans Public Library

Image of the Month
June 2010

The Grunewald Hotel opened in the first block of Baronne Street in 1893. This image shows a drawing of the University Place annex, completed in 1908. It is on a letterhead from the business's stationery (actually cut from a letter written in 1906). The Louisiana Division's Rare Vertical File includes collections of letterheads from 19th and 20th century businesses, organizations, and institutions.

The Grunewald was renamed the Roosevelt Hotel in 1923. In 1965 its name (and management) changed again, this time to the New Orleans Fairmont. The building was seriously damaged by the post-Katrina flooding that devastated New Orleans; the Fairmont did not reopen. After years of work to restore the elegant property, it reopened as the Roosevelt Hotel, part of the Hilton's Waldorf Astoria Collection, in 2009.

Click the image to see a larger version.

Click HERE to visit our old (1996-2007) Images of the Month Gallery archives.

Back to Home